Friday we finally got the frame stripped down to bare metal. I was pretty concerned about what we might find underneath the rotten floor. The trailer had clearly seen a lot of water infiltration over the years, so I expected to find significant rust. I was pleasantly surprised to actually find very little rust. The frame is in excellent shape with just surface rust on the top of some of the outriggers.
None of the outriggers are broken and the frame as built originally was pretty beefy with fully boxed main frame rails and a long piece of reinforcement spanning the length of the axle mounting points.
The only real problem area is this spot at the very rear where the factory blasted two holes through the main frame rails. God knows why they put these here as there were no plumbing lines or anything else running through them. Despite the weakening of the frame at this point, there was very little sag at the rear of the trailer on this side and when we bounce on the bumper right behind this point you can't even see any movement. Nonetheless, Ryan plans to weld in some reinforcement at this point to cover the holes
The cause of this problem is a combination of the tires being larger than original and the fact that the axles are off center bringing the hub on this side too close to the frame. I think we will add about a 1/2 inch of distance between the hub faces to provide just a little more clearance (and of course, we will mount the axles on center). We can't add much though, or I won't be able to get the tires out from underneath the wheel wells.
Shock mounts are also going to be an interesting design issue as a result of the lack of clearance between the hubs and the frame. I'd really like to install shocks, but I'm just not sure how it will work. But somehow I'm pretty sure Ryan will come up with a solution as he always does.
I'm also going to add some height to the trailer with the new axels. Although the low rider look is pretty sweet, the poor Captain is really sitting way too low. Without a few inches added to the ride height, she will drag ass on just the slightest bump. So, we will order the axles with a down angle that should provide a little additional clearance.
The weather is still being very kind to us. The wind and rain started up again as we finished yesterday and a huge storm blew through overnight. But this morning we woke up to blue sky and a beautiful Seattle Fall day. Perfect for Airstream work.
nice progress for sure...
ReplyDeleteGreat news on the frame condition, Norm. It's a big relief to finally see the thing and not wonder anymore.
ReplyDeletesteve
WooHOO! So your frame was relatively decent. That will save you lots of stress.
ReplyDeleteI've been told the torsion axles will give a much smoother ride and you sure will enjoy not scraping bottom over the speed bumps. :-)
Frame looks good you lucky dog! I know you can't wait to get the fresh steel in and get it painted. That's going to be a huge step, one of the most memorable in your restoration I expect.
ReplyDeleteKeep it up!
-Marcus
Thanks guys. After the termite discovery back in April, I was sure hoping I'd get a lucky break on something in this restoration. I think the dry San Diego climate that the Captain lived in, really went a long way towards preserving the frame. It is in remarakably good condition for its age. We are still going to add a little bit of new steel though. Ryan and I were just talking this morning about the axles and decided to add a 3/16 inch steel plate to the inside edge of the frame for additional support in the axle area.
ReplyDeleteNorm