We decided to go ahead and install a new furnace as part of this restoration since we hope to extend our camping season a bit into the colder weather months in the Northwest. Unfortunatley, up here, that can easily include June and September. So, without heat, the camping season could be much too short (I have to admit we are kinda weather whimps).
When we bought the Captain, it had an early '70s Suburban NT-22 furnace. It was in sad shape and was subject to a recall for problems with the venting - so there was never any consideration of keeping it.
The installation was fairly professional (probably done by Airstream based on the receipts I have), but had involved cutting out a vertical rib and a large hole in the interior skin.
I thought I would be able to install the new furnace in exactly the same place, but the vent holes for the old furnace were too close to the kitchen cabinet to make the turns necessary to run the 4" duct work out the side of the furnace and under the stove.
So, I need to install yet another patch to cover the old vent location.

I also had to make the giant hole in the interior skin even bigger to move the new furnace down and over just a few inches. Fortunately, this will all be hidden by the dinette and cabinetry we are placing at the end of the kitchen counter. I'll need Ryan to come over and help me buck a few rivets for the exterior patch. Hopefully we can get that done in the next week or so.
Last week while my parents were here for Christmas, my dad and I got the kitchen counter locked down and trimmed out. I'm very happy with how this turned out.
No comments:
Post a Comment