You sure can't tell from this photograph, but we put my recent seam sealing job to a serious test this weekend. We took the trailer out to Grayland State Beach on the Washington coast. It was a sort of mini-rally with the Webbers and Davenports as they brought three other Airstreams and one Argosy. Friday through Saturday morning were absolutely beautiful, but last night heavy rain and wind hit around mid-night and it sounded like a hurricane for several hours. Fortunately, I spent the last few weeks cleaning all the seams and sealing them with Acryl-R. It seems to have done the job well as we stayed dry last night.
Grayland is one of the Weber's favorite campgrounds and we could sure see why. The sites are pristine and the dunes are beautiful. They also have very nice, heated, yurts on some of the RV sites. We will definetly be coming back here.
Everyone in our group pitched in with meals and we ate very well, but the highlight was the dutch oven dinner courtesey of Ted and Wilson (Katie's father and brother) Saturday night. This is the second time we've been lucky enough to have them cook for us and I hope we can make that a tradition.
After our maiden voyage back in July, I slowed down a bit on the trailer work. But that didn't stop us from camping. This weekend was our third trip in the aluminum tent and for this trip we even had one cabinet installed. We just got our cabinets back from Dan and Sue (Ryan's parents) last weekend and they look incredible. Dan is a master carpenter who built cabinets for many years and more recently has taken on a few Airstream projects including Katie and Ryan's '59 Flying Cloud. We sent our cabinets down there just over a month ago and they rebuilt our kitchen cabinet and completely refinished all our other cabinets. I managed to get the kitchen cabinet and bulkhead in before we left Friday. The others will have to wait while I finish installing the bathroom plumbing including our new black tank that we were able to finally order with some help from Frank Yensan.
While the cabinets were out getting refinished, in addition to sealing the seams, I've been working on cleaning up some of the original items that will go back in the trailer.
Camping this weekend with a bunch of folks with nice finished trailers was motivating. I think we have had enough of sleeping on the floor. It's time to put this thing back together.
Come on, sleeping on the floor isn't so bad. It's better than sleeping in a tent. (Not that I have anything against that, obviously.) Your stove and sink look super. I can't wait to see the cabinets!
ReplyDelete~L