Sunday, June 6, 2010

That was much easier

The right tools and enough set of hands always makes things easier. My mom and dad are in town this weekend, so dad and I worked on getting the rear end cap in yesterday. With some lessons learned from the front cap and a little extra help from our neighbor Gary, we got this one done in about two hours with hardly any problems.

We decided to leave the insulation alone this time (no "thinning" here) and started with a few rivets along the front edge (rib side) of the end cap. After getting those set, we took the floor jack, a four foot 4x4 vertically on top of the floor jack, and a two foot length of 2x4 horizontally on top of the 4x4. We set those under the window edge with the floor jack right against the rear c-channel. The 2x4 helped distribute the weight evenly accross the edge of the cap and allowed us to line up the holes above the window.

After getting the top of the window secured, we finished the front edge by alternating from side to side until we had rivets set all the way down the edges.

I finished wiring up the Fantastic fans last night in anticipation of bringing the long roof sheet in today and hopefully getting that one set. Unfortately, we will have to drill out some of the rivets holding the end caps as I hadn't marked which holes were used for both the caps and the center sheet. Oh yeah, I also need to run a condensation line for the future AC first. It's almost 6:00 a.m., time to get to work.

2 comments:

  1. 2 hours must be some kind of record! I'm impressed! (Brian says we're shooting for an hour and 45 minutes on ours. Haha. I told him we already "loose" for spending 3 days on it!)

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, you can probably get it done even faster than that. I always spend too much time scratching my head thinking things over instead of just shooting rivets. One thing I forgot to mention, we also used an awl to line up the holes - we would place the awl in the hole past the one we planned to rivet. BTW, setting the long center sheet has its own crazy challenges - I'll post an entry on that later this week.

    ReplyDelete